Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Many Multiples of May (Amanda)

This is my cork-covered spiral notebook I use when Dad and I geocache. I don't know which shot I like the most. I think I like the idea of the spiral tunnel, but it leaves me a little disapointed. Thoughts?





This shot encompasses many things that are (currently) quintessentially me. Firstly, my favorite up-close shot with highly focused pin point spot blurring concentrically away. Secondly, the crisp graphic qualities. Namely, the repeating straight lines and then the monocromatic blacks and greys. Lastly, it's woodless graphite! (Every drawers' dream).



There were millions of pine cones in my aunt's backyard and I thought they looked so photogenic, but what to do? Why not work on the blog assignment, of course. So this is what I came up with.



This very 'lovely' pattern was taken at my mom's church (my old one since I no longer live in Shawnee). During this photo journey, I was really trying to get amazing shots of the dozens of flags they have hanging from the ceiling, but couldn't get a good one, no matter what I did. In the end, I angled my camera and snapped the chairs. As you can see, I didn't know anything about adjusting for the type of lighting or messing with the ISO. However, I think the effect is still worth looking at occassionally.



I've wanted to take this shot FOREVER (and keep your eyes open for our Christmas card this year...it may look familiar) so after geocaching today, I had Dad stop and walk with me under the 21st St bridge to capture it. I love how it reminds me of a cathedral, even though it is just a bridge. It is very overwelming in scale, and despite the peeling paint, it is still grand and demanding of respect. And of course, I am a fan of single point perspective.


1 comment:

  1. Wow Amanda. I love everyone of these photos. All are very successful representations of repetition I believe. Good work! Nice that you actually went out and took photos (see my post on this assignment!)

    The first notebook one: love this one. It could be a companion photo to the under bridge one. Very similar. I love the colors in this one. I love the dark background and how the spirals and the background meld together in some places. Very ethereal. It really has lost its "notebook" quality and become something else. Also like the focus on it. You are getting that one down good. It is such a fun technique to have in your bag of photography tricks. Nicely done.

    The next notebook one is also good. Not as 'transformed' as the first one, but it really could be a pyramid looming against a night sky. And again, nice focal range! Prizes all around for you!

    The all-graphites (which I too have a fondness for) are also spectacular. Great lighting. Great foregound and great background (almost looks like the curve of a planet in space). Love the gray tones in a color photograph. I love the whole sparkle of the photo. What are the pencils lying on. Really, it is just all sparkly. So fun. Great focal astuteness. Just a very nice capture. Kudos! Perhaps you could blow this one up and hang it in your art space? I love the long, skinny-ness of it. It is a great juxtaposition of the format of the pencils.

    The pinecone photo just screams whimsical to me, and I don't know why. Maybe the birdhouse? Maybe the blue sky? Maybe the angle? (also reminds me of 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids'. Right in the center of the front edge there appears to be a small willowy female figure....). I really like the perspective. I am assuming you are laying on your stomach to capture this and still having trouble because your eyes can't get that low to the ground. Did you focus, set your camera on the ground and then take the photo? If you did, great thinking. If you didn't, WOW! I'm impressed. Fun, fun photo.

    Love, love, love the chair photo. Love the colors (cool church to pick yellow chairs! Bold, too!). I love the pattern of it all. I love that you chose to do it at an angle instead of straight on (though you may not have had a choice.) I love the diminishing size of the chairs across the photo. Amazing. Love it. Great job!!!!! (Does the church also have yellow carpet??? Super bold!)

    Wow on the under bridge photo. I am in awe that old architecture/engineering used to be so cool. Great capture of what is probably a pretty poorly lit subject. Working with only natural or reflected light on such a large scale can be tricky. Nicely handled. Did you take other photos? I would love to see them. Great photography spot for all kinds of portraits. etc. Again, nice capture!

    On to July.... I am going to be in Boston again, so maybe I'll have some great Land That I Love opportunities.

    ReplyDelete